Saturday, July 04, 2009

Business Meetings: Indian style

Business Meetings: Indian style

Today I went to one of the oldest markets of Calcutta to buy some silicia gel packets.

One of my customers asked for some handloom silk scarf samples last season. We were in the midst of monsoon season - so we didn't have much time. Since they use the sun to dry out everything and there was a week of continuous rain, the scarves showed up on her desk in New York City a soggy mess. Later, they were shipped to my customers' office in Hong Kong. Soon after, I got a note that they were nervous because scarves were emitting a unpleasant smell.

So I told them what happened (monsoon, etc.) but they still want to take precautions. They asked me to put silicia gel packs into each scarf package to absorb moisture.

So I found a manufacturer in Calcutta. I called and even though I am speaking in English and he is responding in English – neither one of us seems to be able to understand one another.

Somehow the time and place are established via text message. Thank god for cell phones and text messaging! Half my work gets done because of it.

I show the taxi driver the text with the address and he drives to a street corner on a sidewalk that is overflowing with tiny sidewalk shops selling glass bangles, stainless steel pots and pans, rubber slippers…basically everything you can imagine.

The silica gel pack man comes to get me and takes me through this maze of a market to his office which is the size of a closet. It’s air-conditioned – so that is all that matters.

I am just there for silica gel pack – a $40 and 2-minute transaction in America – but I was there for at least two hours.

I always forget in my single-minded ambition to ‘get things done’ that business is done differently over here. It is all about the relationship – and quite frankly it is more interesting and pleasurably to know the people you deal with.

This is somewhat typical of an exchange I have every time I start a new business relationship with someone:

First he sent his assistant to fetch us coconut water and urged me to ‘be calm’….as sweat was pouring down my face.

Then the questions:

What country are you from?
“So you are an Indian – are you a Bengali?
Is your mother a Punjabi?
Is your father a Punjabi?
From where in Punjab are you from?

Then some somosas arrive.

But your name does not sound like a Punjabi name. Why?
There is a very famous actress of yesteryear named Smita Patil, do you know of her?
All your family is living abroad? Or do you have any relations in Punjab?
How many years there?
Which do you like better: India or abroad?
What is your sun sign?
Moon sign?
Your life partner?
Will you marry an Indian?

Tea arrives..

Do you live with your parents?
How far away do they live from you?
How many brother and sisters are there (in your family)?
Is your brother married?
Does he have children?
Do you know Bengali sweets? They are the specialization of this region.

A plate of sweets arrive…

What is your business?
Who do you work with?

THEN and only then, we talk silicia gel packs….

In the end, I bought my gel packs (turns out he had a much greener option made from clay) – and I had a new friend too. He even offered me a desk in the new office space he just purchased!

No comments: