Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Handloom in the 'Hood


Handloom is coming to my old ‘hood, Fort Greene, Brooklyn! I'm so pleased to see that the handloom organization Tilonia, run by my friend Ellen Fish, will be displaying their wares in lovely Fort Greene through the Pratt Pop-Up! store at Dekalb Market until October 16. I lived in Fort Greene for eight joyful years and started my business in my apartment there, so that area definitely holds a special place in my heart.

Tilonia is a non-profit organization that employs a variety of artisans through the Barefoot College, an NGO that works to improve the lives of the rural poor by addressing basic needs for water, electricity, housing, health, education, and income. Through its production of home goods and accessories, Tilonia creates an income stream for artisans in the Indian state of Rajasthan.

Here’s what I love about the Barefoot College: its work is based upon the belief that though the poor may be uneducated, they still have the fierce desire to provide for themselves and their families. This organization, at work for over thirty-five years, is known especially for their solar energy program, which trains rural women to install solar electricity in their rural, remote, and often non-electrified villages.

The Barefoot College also does important work in many other areas, including health care, environmental causes, and women’s entrepreneurship and empowerment. Because of their inspirational work to support and sustain village life, I’m proud to say that the Barefoot College will be one of the organizations supported by our commitment at smitapauldesign.com to donate 10% of sales to charitable organizations. My hope is to support women from the villages where I work to go through the solar energy program. Until our site launches (stay tuned!), please go out and support Tilonia at Dekalb Market! For pictures of the shop in action (such as the one above), see www.designhope.wordpress.com .

No comments: